Corona Virus Update
Business as usual, Our waiting room is back open however we ask that patients sit in every second seat, Masks are mandatory so we ask patients to adhere to this strict surgery policy. Any patient to be seen with Flu like symptoms will be asked to take an antigen test prior to entering the surgery and to wait to be seen in the car.
We are not administering the Covid vaccines but nearby Nenagh Hospital have regular walk-in clinics as per hse.ie
Last week both GPs and pharmacists found their working days changed beyond all recognition!
Doctors and Pharmacists are receiving calls from worried patients- most of whom are really concerned about whether the symptoms they or a loved one are displaying could be related to the Covid-19 virus.
As of yesterday there were approximately 40,000 people in Ireland waiting on a test. Some of those are living in our community of Newport and surrounding areas!!!
While 80% of cases will have mild flu like symptoms ALL patients are advised to SELF ISOLATE I.e stay at home and away from any other person including ones own family or extended family.
- Tthe need to self isolate at the earliest onset of any symptoms can not be emphasised enough .
- It is estimated that if a person fails to self isolate and has the virus their single infection could lead to 400 cases of Covid-19 within just one month – just think about that!
- With an expected death rate of between 1 to 2 % for Covid-19, this could lead to the death of up to 8 people – so the consequences of your heavy cold / mild flu do not bear thinking about……
- Once you or a family member have symptoms contact our Dr here at 061378241 or the Public Health no. 1890300046 for Limerick Clare and Tipperary.
- Please note ShannonDoc or other out of hours doctors can not organise a Covid-19 test.
While waiting for a test you MUST Self-Isolate!!!!!
- If you have a significant underlying medical condition and have new onset minor symptoms or if you are usually healthy and have symptoms for a few days and feel they are significantly worsening i.e breathlessness etc i would suggest you ring our GP for advice.
- Particular concern would be a worsening cough/ noticable shortness of breath and spiking fevers especially if in the 2nd week of illness.
- In case of emergency eg can not breath call 999 or 112
- Let’s all do our bit and look after one another through these difficult times!!!
- This is a war and the soldiers on the ground to fight this are you, your family, neighbours, friends, work colleagues, teammates and everyone we meet on a day to day basis in our locality!
- ISOLATE Granny and Grandad or anyone with an underlying illness that falls into the at risk category to protect them!
- The biggest spreaders of this deadly disease will be your kids and teenagers!!!! – I appeal to you to KNOW WHERE THEY ARE AT ALL TIMES- no contact no exceptions!!!!!!!!!!
- Practice Social Distancing
- Social Distancing was not taken seriously in the early stages in Italy and look at the outcome. We have a chance to be different but this situation is escalating very quickly!!
- Hopefully if we do things right everyone in our great community will make it through safely!!!
Best of luck and if you need us ring us on 061 378241 We are here to help you and your family!!