Below is a list of some of the services offered by Newport Medical Centre, if you have any questions or require more information on any of the services listed or otherwise, please do not hesitate to contact us.
- Full range of acute and chronic medical care
- Antenatal and postnatal care, including six weeks check for mother and baby.
- Women’s health – Cervical smears-This service is recommended and is now free for women between the ages 25-60. Please contact us for more advise or alternatively contact The National Cervical Screening Programme (www.cervicalcheck.ie). Breast Checks and Blood pressure checks are also available.
- Contraceptive advice (family planning), including advice on combined pill and mini-pill methods, emergency contraception, contraceptive injection, Implanon, mirena coil and natural family planning
- Fitting of Mirena Coil, Copper Coil and Implanon devices.
- Referral for vasectomy and tubal ligation.
- 24hr Blood Pressure Monitor
- Cryotherapy – treatment for warts and verrucae
- Medical examinations for insurance purposes
- Medical examinations for school and work
- Health screening and promotion
- Eyesight testing, for driving licence applications and general medical testing
- Suturing of wounds and removal of sutures
- Member of HeartWatch program
- Joint injections
- Infant Vaccination
- Flu Vaccinations
The nurse’s clinics are by referral from the doctor and by appointment only.
Routine blood tests are taken on Tuesday,Wednesday and Thursday mornings from 9am . Blood results are available one week later. Please phone the nurse between 2-3pm only, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays to retrieve your blood results.
The nurses provide a broad range of services which gives you more choice.
- Blood Pressure Check-up
- Well women check
- Blood tests
- Ear wax syringing
- Surgical Dressings
- Diet/Cholesterol clinic
- Cervical smear- recommended for women between ages 25-65 years, every three to five years under the Cervical Check Programme.
- Breast feeding advice
- Infant vaccinations
- Flu Vaccinations
- Pneumococcal vaccine
- Hepatitis B Vaccine.
A Diabetic nurse clinic is available at our practice. Referrals can be made by any of our doctors.
Fees for Services Provided
Fees vary according to the service required and it is practice policy that payment is required at each medical visit. The practice accepts cheques, cash or card payments. Receipts will be issued at the time of payment.
We are happy to see medical card holders and you will be asked to have proof of G.M.S. eligibility with you.
Cryotherapy – removal of skin abnormalities safely
Cryotherapy is a technique that uses an extremely cold liquid to freeze and destroy abnormal skin cells that require removal while preserving the surrounding skin from injury. Freezing may last from five to 20 seconds, depending on the size of the lesion. Veruccas, Skin Tags, Molluscum Contagiosum are among the skin conditions that can be treated with Cryotherapy. There are several other condidtions that can be effectively treated.
Enquire at the Surgery for more information or to book an appointment.
Services provided to Medical Card Holders
The GMS medical card entitles holders to a wide range of medical services from their nominated GP/surgery. These services are provided to the medical card holder free of charge and include standard consultations for treatment of illnesses and relate services neccessary for the treatment of a wide range of medical conditions
Full Medical card and ‘Doctor Only’ medical card holders are entitled to the same services free of charge within the surgery.
Where possible requests for house calls should be made between 9:00 and 11:30 am. House calls are strictly for patients who are too ill to attend the surgery. Please note that when making a house call appointment the receptionist will take details of the illness/emergency and a doctor may phone you back to confirm that they will attend.
Children with acute rashes and temperatures etc will be seen promptly in the surgery.